Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Go see and be seen

So I went on a "go see" earlier today. I was amusing myself about the term (I am wont to do so, amuse myself that is). A Go see is what commercial models or print models call an audition. It’s not an audition because you don’t sing; dance, read lines etc you go and you are seen. Or you go and see if they like you. So it usually consists of a sign in process and you fill out your measurements, hopefully you’re wearing what you were told to wear in the breakdown. The breakdown is what the agent tells you about the project i.e. who it’s for what to wear, what they’re looking for, what it pays, what dates you need to be available etc. So the sheet that you filled your measurements on also has a number, that’s how they keep track of you and you attached you comp card or headshot. Comp cards are approximately a large postcard size and include pictures of you in a variety of poses outfits and what not. I’m more of an actor so I have a headshot but as I do more print work I will get a card printed up. I actually have the pictures I just haven’t made the expenditure. It’s a business and you know you gotta spend money to make money yadda yadda. So anyway, they take your picture in a couple of poses and voila you have gone and been seen.

I was amusing myself with the term Go see because couldn’t you call anything a go see? A job interview is a go see you go see if they like you and vice versa. Or a date is a go see, you go see if you like that person’s particular brand of crazy and vice versa. You see what I mean. I guess there’s honesty in the term. Anyway so I went and was seen and I saw and hopefully conquered. If you don’t get the job they do not call you at all. But here’s to hoping. Print work is good exposure and money and it's fun!

I have to say I have respect for the photographers and the casting people. To most it may seem like an easy job at least for the casting people they sit there and look at your pictures on the computer as the photographer takes them but I was #141 and they went up to 200 I think and that’s no joke. I have cast a play and two films and honey it is not easy. I’ll go into that further another time as we cast the mother’s for our short film (By our, I mean me and my partner’s production company Clean Slate Films). It’s exhausting and when we were casting earlier this year I realized one of the reasons it’s so tiring is everyone’s hopes and dreams are coming into that room. The dreams of the actors or models, the casting directors, the producers, directors etc, it’s a creative process and there is a lot of energy in the room. All the energy, of dreams and desires it is actually palpable. Then there is the photographer who is just almost always so nice and encouraging. I think it’s so important to be aware of all the people in the room and their jobs. (I almost there jobs and one of my biggest pet peeves is the incorrect use of there, they’re and their but I digress) A genuine smile, a thank you and NO attitude is absolutely necessary in this business. At that is my two and a half cents. Should I have said two and a hay penny? Ach. Leave it alone, No one should know how oddly my mind works oh except for you who I am apparently telling.

So…I performed today. It was our second round at the Wonderland Festival. We find out tonight if we’re going to the third round. OH my chest constricts when I say it. I get so excited and mildly fearful. Really actors are a sick lot. I was talking about it behind the scenes with my fellow actor’s minutes before we went on. We were all slightly giddy and doing our breathing exercises and jerky, we got to much energy movements. I had the fear or adrenaline in my body and said to someone, you will have to explain to me one day why I can feel like this and still keep wanting to do this. Of course it’s rhetorical because I’m under the impression that we all feel the same. The fire raging up through our bodies and all this energy and excitement and then boom you’re on stage and it’s magic. It really is. I love it so much I could actually cry. I’m not kidding I’m sitting in front of my computer with tears in my eyes. Well I think that answers my own question. It’s a deep joy apparently the kind that makes you cry. Well I am grateful for the opportunity to feel scared then and everything else that comes with it. I’ll check back with you later to tell you if we made it to the third round! Cross your fingers!!

1 comment:

Felix Medina said...

I really...really...love you!

Personal blogs Top Blogs More blogs about {URL}.
Add to Technorati Favorites