Sunday, June 17, 2007

Virtue?

Wow. I have discovered once again that I am not a patient person. This is contrary to what most people say about me, at least to my face who knows what they say when I'm not around. But I get a lot of wow you're really patient, I couldn't do that or thank you for being so patient with me or any variation there of, I figure you can do your own version of mad libs here and leave me out of it. But walking through the streets of New York? No I just am so glad that I don't carry a handgun or I'm not allowed to or whatever because it would not be pretty. I just don't get it. I mean I really don't get it is the edge of the crosswalk really the place to decide what your next move is gonna be? Or what movie to see? Or whether Uncle Harold would like the cheesecake IS IT? IS IT REALLY the best place for that discussion? Right in the middle of Times Square!?!?!! Or are you completely unaware that not everybody wants to stroll behind you while you do your Sunday afternoon we really like each other walk? Can you be aware that you're in freaking midtown and not everybody is going at your pace?! Look I don't begrudge Maude and Jerry their afternoon stroll they've been doing for the last 65 years I don't, really I don't but do you, no can you really be in midtown Manhattan and not be aware that approximately 4 million people are AROUND you? No really I want to know, get back to me I'll wait.

So I wasn't even in a hurry or anything but I don't necessarily want to stuck behind what I consider can only be dip@*&ts , and I say that lovingly, if you're not aware that I'm right behind you. I mean I can count the hairs on your neck! Just step to the side let me through you can go back to walking 3 feet an hour I don't mind that, heck I like to walk as slow as grass growing too sometimes. Okay that's a lie but I can appreciate that you want to, I don't want to change anyone, okay another lie, it just takes a little awareness people. If you're that unaware then you deserve to have your wallet stolen in the big city there I've said it now I'm the bad guy.

Okay now thats off my chest I can go back to the relatively nice person that I am when not walking in midtown Manhattan. I dunno people it seems it may be time to move on. I may have done had my share of city life. Allright so I know it's the price you pay for living in midtown Manhattan and I love it most of the time just not at above said times. So... I actually have had a wonderful day with some drawbacks including getting canceled on while at a clients door this morning! Yes but in all fairness I must have misunderstood an email but if you've been following or know me at all you know that one, I love my sleep and two, I really don't enjoy waking up early and to compound it all...wait for it...wait for it... I took a cab so I wouldn't be late because the trains were all screwy.

Yes and that my friends was my howdy doo, top of the morning to ya. So I almost bagged the whole day, canceled all my clients and went back to bed you know the moment? The Lise this just ain't your day moment? Cut your losses and get back to bed. But I decided a couple of things one (I like lists can you tell? even if they're short ones) so again in case the parentheses threw you off one, I wasn't going to disappoint or let down my other industrious and very committed (you have to be if you're doing the Sunday morning workout) clients and two, as the Course in Miracles puts it, a miracle is just a shift in perspective. So I shifted my perspective and decided that it was lovely to talk to the Guyanese cab driver on the ride uptown this morning. And it was. I had told him the back was really hot and asked if he could turn on the air conditioning. As we went along he asked me if I could feel the air and I responded that I was starting to and he said well it's really cold up here. So I told him that the trickle down theory does not work in politics nor in air conditioning. So we laughed and joked about that. He really was a lovely man. I told him I was going to Tanzania to see my Father in August and he was mightily pleased.

So anyway I took that lovely experience and my breakfast to the little diamond shaped park on 106th and Broadway and was reading Don Miguel Ruiz' book The Voice of Knowledge and I was tweeting at the birds who were tweeting at me. Okay maybe they weren't but it was fun to tweet at them and yes I probably looked like a crazy person and if that's the case then I guess looks aren't deceiving. I am chuckling away, by the by, I think I'm a regular laugh riot over here. So anyway I trained my subsequent clients and was stood up by a friend I had plans with, that I might add I had made plans with in lieu of some other people ( I am driving it in, he reads the blog and is easily made to feel bad). But truthfully today happened exactly as it was supposed to because I did something I almost never do. I went to the movies and in the middle of the day no less!! It was wonderful and the movie was so funny and really kind of heart warming( "Knocked Up").

I have to say I really enjoy going to the movies by myself although I have not done it much, but I really got it today why people go to the movies with other people, it's not for company like you might think. I mean come on it's dark, you're not supposed to talk, if you're "hanging out" then I "hung out" with a 100 people today at the movies. It's because you need a small army to help you eat all that freaking popcorn. Really though you do. It is in one word ridiculous and then I'm trying to rationalize throwing away all this popcorn and trying to find a way I won't be embarrassed to take it with me because we know it's not going to go bad, it's chock full of preservatives and God knows what else to make it so addictive. This is why it actually did not come home with me (other than the fact that my bag was too small to hide it in, truth be told) becuase I would be eating the popcorn for days to come. And I can only rationalize eating that much popcorn and drinking that much soda i.e. calories ( I don't do the diet cancer causing stuff) when I'm in the dark hanging out with all of you at the movies. That is my story and I'm sticking to it. And now I fear I've said too much. Till we meet again ciao.

No comments:

Personal blogs Top Blogs More blogs about {URL}.
Add to Technorati Favorites