Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Movies and Books

I am an avid reader and I am one of those people who takes offense when someone equates watching a movie with reading the book. I suppose it's somewhat arrogant of me but I think it's deceptive to say you've read a book when in fact you have not. They are both wonderful mediums for telling a story but not interchangeable. I just saw The Way of the Peaceful Warrior a fantastic movie in its message. I read the book sometime ago and it is definitely one of those books I quote from, recommend to people constantly and find myself giving away my copy of all the time. The film is considered to be in the genre of spiritual cinema , a niche that is gaining in popularity whit movies such as Conversations with God and What the Bleep do we Know etc(Article). I have to tell you I love movies that make me want live a better life, that keenly get me right into the present moment and movies that make me want to read! What a unique quality in a movie, the movie made me want to go read the book again. I started with saying that it's not the same as the movie because as great as the movie is you cannot capture in an hour and a half all the messages of a book. Many but not all. Although of course you can appeal to a much larger audience and perhaps draw people to a book that will change their lives (and it will) that would not otherwise be exposed to it.

I actually also love books that make me want to read more books as well as movies that make me want to read more books. For example, Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code made me what to study the masons, the Templars, government history, Roman history. I wanted to travel and hole myself up in a library all at the same time. That's what good books are made of by my account. Anne Rice's book have similar effects on me "Vittorio the Vampire" made me want to go get Ovid's Metamorphosis which I did and Cry to Heaven made me want to study the history of Opera and falsettos, eunuchs and the history of Napoli and Florence as the epicenter of Opera at one time. The Way of the Peaceful Warrior made me want to go read books on meditation and Buddha, for some reason and finally take up some martial art. When a book or a movie makes you hunger for knowledge and savor the moment of life you're currently living you have struck gold. Dan Millman's book The Way of the Peaceful Warrior did that to me it definitely altered the course of my life. The movie really touches upon some of the pivotal moments in the book in a visual and profound way. But oddly enough and this is coming from the woman who is an actress I prefer the book. As a little girl, you usually would find me deep into a book, I actually used to walk around the streets of Manhattan literally with a book up to my face reading. My mother was none too pleased as she feared for my life and my eyesight. I am happy to say I have my life, my eyesight not so much.

On the flip side you would find me trying to overcome my painful shyness by acting and becoming any character that struck my fancy. I find myself torn between my love of books and movies. which makes it very obvious why I am an actress and a writer, a movie lover and an avid reader. One of my favorite things to do though is watch the behind the scene and for this particular movie I felt more invested even because I care about the book so much and it was obvious the film makers did as well. I love the way they put so much of themselves into the production and staying true to the book in so many ways impressed me. Lately when I watch these behind the scenes footage I find myself being keenly aware of how much I accomplished on the film I was producing and also how little we really knew. There is so much work that goes into telling a story visually, so many people crafting and adding and shaping the story into what it eventually becomes. It is like a finely cooked meal with dozens of chefs. Acting and producing a movie, essentially collaborating really takes a lot of trust and a willingness to grow and allow people to add to your work, to guide and shape a story together.

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior
tells you to go within for your answers to find that still place within you that guides you and leads you. To be still and be detached and happy in this moment because it's all you have. The future doesn't exist and the past is over. I find it interesting that I am drawn to this kind of message and also have picked careers that force me to be in the moment and also put myself into the hands of others so I can learn to detach and trust. I can learn to be happy whether I am valued and appreciated and happy whether I am used and taken for granted. My joy cannot be attached to either because I am not in control of anything other than my relationship to it. It is delicious that with all the my current trials and joys I find myself led back to Dan Millman's movie/book. In fact it is perfect. The moment, the book and the movie, all perfect in its own right.

No comments:

Personal blogs Top Blogs More blogs about {URL}.
Add to Technorati Favorites